English Muffins, Gluten Free

Can you smell them?  Fresh from the oven!

The last Thomas’ English Muffin we ate was in the spring of 2000.  I might have added a splash pound of extra butter in those nooks and crannies if I’d known. It was an exercise in extra-special willpower just to ignore them after we began eating gluten-free.  And when some gluten-free faux English Muffins showed up in the grocery freezer looking more like door-stops than little round breads with nooks and crannies, we ignored those, too.

When it came time to order Eggs Benedict there is where we missed them most.  Try explaining to the server that you will have the Eggs Benedict, please, but could they hold the muffin because you cannot eat gluten.  The server, trying to be helpful, will ask if you’d rather have toast, or rye bread, or even a bagel.  Um, no, thank you.

And then comes your order – the poached eggs perched – or sliding off – on a single thin slice of ham swimming in Hollandaise sauce looking rather pathetic and naked.  I’d wish for a good gluten-free English Muffin every single time that happened.

We have one now.  All thanks to a serendipitous moment when the DVR recorded (accidentally) an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown.  The episode was all about Eggs Benedict, and he happened to make simple (overnight) English Muffins to provide the basis for the Benedict/sauce.  No griddle necessary.

We watched with interest because something about the preparation and science that Alton explained, clicked.  We looked at one another thinking the same thing.  Perhaps this would work with gluten-free flours and something for a binder?

Our first attempt was like magic.  Mixing up the flours, adding the egg white as the binder and following Alton’s direction for the remaining process and ingredients, it had the right look and texture.  We had only small Dole pineapple cans to use for muffin-rings so our first batch came out a slight bit tall, but they did rise and baked up exactly as they should.

There was way too much chewiness because of the girth, but the idea was there.  We were slightly swooning.  This close!

The next night we tried again with another mixture of flour and decided that those were still too thick, but the flavor was superb.

We indulged in English Muffin rings (highly recommended over pineapple cans) and this last batch was unbelievably good.  No.  More than that – warm from the oven fantastic.  We adjusted the flour mixture slightly and now it has great crumb, reasonable nooks and crannies, and the right girth so you feel like you are actually eating a real English Muffin.

Aside from the time it takes for the dough to lounge overnight in the refrigerator, it takes less than ten minutes to create the batter and another 5 minutes in the morning to get them ready for the oven.

Two items that you will use over and over in your kitchen are really what makes this recipe work.  Get yourself a scale.  This one works great.  And under $35 (or was).  And get yourself some sort of instant read thermometer.  We use this one.  And while it seems expensive it is so worth the investment with the amount of use it gets.  There are great alternatives to both items that are less expensive, too.

Canteen GF English Muffins

(Starring Alton Brown’s Science)
  • 12 ounces gluten-free flour:  (3 oz. superfine brown rice flour, plus 2 oz. gluten-free oat flour, plus 2 oz. superfine white rice flour plus 1.5 oz. millet flour plus 1 oz. sweet rice flour, plus 1.5 oz. potato starch, plus 1 oz. teff flour.
  • 2 ounces dry milk powder
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • one packet yeast – not rapid rise! (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 1 large egg white
  • generous 8 oz. water, warm
  • 1 tablespoon solid shortening
  • tablespoon or two of gluten-free cornmeal

In a stand-mixer bowl, weigh out the flours to a total of 12 ounces.  The flours listed are what we like that gave us a good crumb, but feel free to use what you like best.

Zero out the scale, and weigh the milk powder into the same bowl and add the other dry ingredients.  Using the paddle attachment, mix up the dry ingredients for about 15 seconds to incorporate it together.  Use a low setting so you don’t dust the walls with flour.

In a glass measuring cup heat up the water and the shortening in the microwave for just a minute or until it is between 120 to 130 degrees.  No hotter or you will kill the yeast.  You want the shortening to melt in the water.  Yes, greasy water.  I do this while I’m measuring the flours because it always comes out too hot and has to cool down while the shortening is melting.  Here is where the instant-read thermometer comes in handy.

While the mixer is running on low add the egg white and mix for a few seconds.  Add the liquid once it is the right temperature and mix for about 3 minute on medium speed.

Scrape down bowl and give it one twirl with the spatula.  Cover with plastic  wrap and refrigerate overnight.  Yes, seriously, overnight.  Do it before you go to bed.

While you are still awake,  get out two large baking sheets and line them with parchment, not silpats.  Get out your muffin rings (don’t use the pineapple cans, seriously).  And leave it all for the morning.

When you get up in the morning, ready to take on the last part of the muffin adventure – you’ll be happy the baking pans are ready.  Using cooking spray, make sure each ring is well coated and place them all evenly on one parchment covered baking sheet.

Leave the second sheet pan empty.

Sprinkle a pinch of cornmeal in each ring.  Save some for the topping.

Pour yourself some coffee.  Drink.

Remove the bowl from the refrigerator.  The dough will have risen and might have some gas bubbles visible, but ignore its rudeness.  Place the bowl back on the mixer and using the clean paddle attachment, spin on medium speed for another 3 minutes.

Using a 1/4 cup scoop (think ice cream size) drop the batter evenly into the rings.  It should fill 8 rings.  Sprinkle cornmeal on top of the dough.

Here’s the fun part.  Turn the light on in the oven.  Take the other parchment paper and place over the rings and place in the oven.  Let rise for about an hour.  We let it go to about an hour and twenty minutes – gluten-free flours need all the help they can get.  They will rise and fill the rings.

Remove from the oven and preheat the thing to 400 degrees.  Once at temperature, take the other baking sheet and place it on top of the piece of parchment covering the rings – right side up, not upside down.  Double-decker-like.

Place in oven and time for 20 minutes.

Remove 2nd baking sheet and parchment top at 20 minutes.  They should be browning.  Bake 5 minutes more.  Don’t burn them.  Alton says they should be about 210 degrees but I’d remove them anywhere around 180-190 degrees.  (again, instant-read thermometer comes in handy)

Cool for about 10 minutes and remove from rings and cool a bit more on a wire rack.  Split with fork (never slice them) and toast or just eat them.

Et voila!  Gluten free English Muffins!

Thank you, Alton Brown.

And thank you, Michael Ruhlman for the ratio education.  These GF English Muffins are based on this ratio – 2 parts flour: 2 parts(ish) liquid plus a smidgen of fat and a whole lot of jam.

Comments

1. jeanelane says:

This looks delish! I think I will have to invest in some muffin rings. I so appreciate you and other bloggers for doing all the hard work, leaving the yummy stuff to the rest of us!! :)

• Gluten Free Canteen says:

Thank you! Hope you try it soon – and let me know how it turns out. Yep – those rings are worth it. Pineapple cans are just slightly too tall.

2. oh wow – how wonderful! I will be trying these for sure :)

3. Elinorina says:

So, question for you (since I ADORE English muffins, and am missing them terribly, so I am going to cook these babies ASAP): when you say “shortening”, do you mean butter? or (heaven forfend) Crisco? Please let me know… Many thanks!!!

• Gluten Free Canteen says:

Elinorina – yep, it is shortening. Crisco has a no-trans-fat version without additives (I think), but if you are near a Whole Foods, they carry Spectrum brand veggie shortening. I hesitate to use the stuff, too, but in tiny amounts in this recipe or in pie crust – totally worth the outcome. Let me know how they work out for you and if you want to take a pic and post it on the Canteen’s FB page, feel free. (Gluten Free Canteen). Enjoy! And thank you!

4. Yes, I can almost smell this, looks so fresh!

5. You are amazing! A total science-cooking-geek with a lovely sense of family heritage who needs her own food network show pronto. While I am not GF and only dabble in trying to give up wheat every few months, you inspire me to be more creative and less afraid of failure in the kitchen!

• Gluten Free Canteen says:

You are too kind! (blushing). But Cap’t Awesome really is a science geek so that helps. I promise to make something minus dairy soon!

6. I don’t have any rings, do you think I could use a muffin tin instead? Also, leaving the dough in the fridge overnight, why would you have to do that?

Angie.

• Gluten Free Canteen says:

Refrigerating overnight is how you get them baked so quickly in the morning- The yeast has time to work and it causes a specific flavor to develop. The overnight method is the least complicated for getting fresh muffins baked first thing in the morning. You could of course do this through the course of the day and bake them that evening. And as some GF bread bakers have found, the more time the dough hangs out in the refrigerator v. just a rise on the counter – the better the flavor. And GF flours need all the help they can get with that regard.

A muffin tin, unless it is pretty huge will probably not work well. Eng. Muffins are usually griddle baked and this method uses a similar technique (the dough open to the heat source directly on the bottom with the rings and hot pan) and a muffin tin would just shield it. I wouldn’t recommend a muffin tin because of that and the shape – it would come out more like a bread muffin than the flat griddle shaped Eng Muffin. But if you do use a muffin tin, let me know how it worked. Interesting questions, Angie! Thanks for coming by!

7. oh wow – sounds great! can’t wait to try this. saving it (http://cookmarked.com)!

8. I am SO making these! I’ve been craving English muffins for a while, never get around to creating a recipe, and here you’ve got one that seems to work beautifully! Thank you! (I, regrettably, bought a pack of those gf faux-English muffins recently – ugh. What a total disappointment and waste of money.) Now I just need to get some rings . . .

9. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmuffins – gluten free! Yum can’t wait to try these!

10. It worked! I never found the teff flour, but I added a little more of the others and I made English muffins that smelled good, tasted good, and crisped up nicely in the toaster. I’m so happy!

• GlutenFreeCanteen says:

Yay! Always happy when you guys are happy! So glad it worked. Thank you for letting me know – much appreciated.

11. I am so inspired by this post! I adore English muffins, and this recipe looks fantastic. And gum-free, too! I’ve been trying to avoid the gums, especially in the foods I bake myself, and it gets tiring to have that extra layer of adaptation to worry about. Best of all – I just started eating oats again, so I’ll be able to make it as written. I’m going to try not to use too many exclamation points, but I’m just so excited! I clicked through to the Amazon link and promptly ordered a set of English muffin rings, and as soon as they arrive on Tuesday, I’ll be putting them to good use.

Thank you for sharing! I just discovered your blog, but I’ll definitely be sticking around and exploring.

• GlutenFreeCanteen says:

Thank you, Ava, and welcome! Hope you enjoy the muffins. Let me know how they come out for you or if you have questions.

• I’m finally getting around to making the English muffins! I have pizza dough rising, and the stand mixer was already out, so I figured I might as well make something else while I was at it. (The logic is even flimsier than it sounds: I keep my stand mixer on the counter – it’s just inconveniently shoved into a corner behind the electric kettle!) My local store doesn’t have GF oat flour or the superfine rice flours, so hopefully spending a lot of time in the food processor was enough to turn my GF oats and regular rice flours into something sufficiently not-totally-grainy. We shall see!

What I’m really wondering about is the last rising stage…..if the oven light is actually necessary for a bit of heating, I’m doomed! Our rather sad range doesn’t have a light (alas for sub-par appliances in rented houses), so the muffins will just be…hanging out in there. Here’s hoping! I’ll report back.

Oh, also – we don’t have a microwave, so I plopped the shortening into a 2-cup glass measure and heated water in the tea kettle. Then I poured about half a cup of boiling-ish water onto the shortening and waited for it to melt. Once it was melted, I added a bit more hot water, and supplemented with cold water until it was about the right amount and about the right temperature. A little fussy, but it seemed to work just fine. Ought to work for anyone else lacking certain modern (in?)conveniences too. :)

Thanks for sharing the recipe! I’m really excited to see how it turns out.

• GlutenFreeCanteen says:

My mixer is on the counter in a corner, too and I often feel like it is like bringing it out of Siberia to do projects. I totally get it! The light in the oven merely provides a tiny bit of warmth – for us it helps because our place gets cold overnight. If you like, you can heat the oven just for a minute or two, turn it off and let the big heat dissipate before putting the dough in there. Adding a mug of hot hot water on an oven shelf helps humidify and warm up the oven as well. I would have done the warm water/shortening exactly the same way sans the microwave. Hope they turn out well and you love them!

12. YAY!!!! the english muffins currently in my freezer are more like bricks than muffins. i can not WAIT to try this!! thanks!

13. These are gorgeous! I’ve been dying to have english muffins ever since going gluten-free two years ago. I’ve had a few and they just don’t measure up to the real, gluten filled ones! This recipe may be exactly what I’m looking for. I’m dairy-free as well, any suggestions about a replacement for the milk powder??

• GlutenFreeCanteen says:

Hi Alyssa – I have not made them without milk powder so I don’t know how they would work without it. The milk powder is essential to the recipe as written. If you make them without it, it won’t be the same recipe, nor will it come out the same way. But you could experiment with alternative nondairy milk powders but make sure they have a similar protein percentage. http://www.livestrong.com/article/208885-vegan-substitutes-for-powdered-milk/ Let me know if you try the recipe with a dairy free product and how it comes out.

14. Thank you for the recipe! I don’t have a scale and for those who are interested, I think it takes about 2 1/2 – 2 3/4 C gf flours. I used a bread machine for the kneading and first rise. I used ceramic souffle cups (buttered and sprinkled with cornmeal) and they worked out great! They didn’t rise much and turned out a little thin (even though I put them in a warmed oven), so next time I may either use all the batter on the 4 cups or try fast rise yeast (I seem to have better results with it).

15. I just took these out of the oven and though they overflowed the rings (note to self – SCANT 1/4 cup not generous) they smell amazing and they have a great texture and they TASTE like good food. Bacon and egg sandwich here I come. Thank you so much. Something to put jam on is something I have really really missed.

• GlutenFreeCanteen says:

Hi Juno. Yep. I’ve done that, too. The muffins had muffin humps! And yes, you are totally right. 1/4 scant cup does the trick though it looks like it will never fill the rings – it does. So glad you liked them. They are still our favorite. Enjoy that bacon and egg sandwich!

• They were so good! There were nooks for butter and jam, and they toasted properly. I can’t even.

How do they freeze, do you know?

• GlutenFreeCanteen says:

I’ve never had the chance to freeze them – no leftovers! But if I were, I’d wait till they were totally cool and then I’d put them in a ziplock freezer bag, seal it up really well. I’d defrost in the refrigerator without opening the bag overnight and toast the next day. Not sure how they’d hold up, but if you try it let me know. So glad you liked them!

16. I’m wondering how long do you think they can hang out in the fridge? Is a whole day too long? Thanks! Michele

• GlutenFreeCanteen says:

I make them the night before and they rest in the refrigerator overnight until morning, so that is about 8-10 hours. Probably any longer than that the quality might change – I haven’t tried leaving them longer, but there is wiggle room with the timing. An hour or two more would probably not hurt, but an entire night and then an entire day might change how they bake. I wouldn’t let them sit more than ten hours in the refrigerator before baking. Hope that helps -

17. These are – without a doubt – the best GF bread I’ve made. I’m not really a baker but followed the (very detailed – thanks) directions exactly and they turn out every time. I’ve even made it in a loaf pan.
    They are a staple in our house:)
    Thank you SO much!! Laurie

• GlutenFreeCanteen says:

Glad they work for you, Laurie. We like them, too. Sounds like it makes a great loaf bread – that’s fantastic. Thanks for letting me know.

18. Marilyn says:

Do you know if coconut oil can be used in these muffins? Can’t wait to make these as Eggs Benedict with my homemade microwave hollandaise sauce!

• GlutenFreeCanteen says:

As a sub for the 1 tablespoon of shortening? I don’t know – haven’t tried them that way. You’ll have to experiment, but I’m guessing that since it is such a small amount it would be fine – might alter the flavor just a little, but I bet it would work.

19. Summer Star says:

Is it just me, or am I not seeing the place in this recipe where you’re supposed to add the yeast? I’ve never worked with yeast before, so I want to make sure I do this right. Thanks.

Trackbacks

1. […] Our challah recipe is adapted from Joan Nathan’s Jewish Holiday Cookbook here. If you are not familiar with Joan’s work, you should be. Her books are an important part of our cooking library. On Facebook there is a group led by Joan called Jewish Cooking – a very useful resource. The method for preparing the challah is similar to the one we used for making the GF Canteen English Muffins here. […]

2. […] my favorite Alton Brown English Muffin recipe (that I previously converted successfully to GF  here). The dough was a bit too thick  – and though they were very tasty the recipe needed a bit of […]

3. […] are similar to our other English Muffins, but simpler, faster and a bit easier. Add some really good cinnamon, a few good raisins, let the […]