You know what makes a simple vanilla cupcake taste like Nog?
Lots of Nog.
And nutmeg by the pound. Freshly ground nutmeg.
People were tripping over one another to get to these cupcakes. It was reported that some took more than one at a time.
It may be the day or so after Christmas, but I bet you still have Nog hiding in the refrigerator.
Apparently nog in a cupcake is quite a novel idea to some people. But no matter. It’s a really easy post-holiday goody to make and bring to someplace where you just want to be known as the coolest person in the room.
If you really want to be popular, use a little bit of spirits instead of vanilla extract. Like rum. And bring some more rum with you.
Just in case you run out of cupcakes.
|Noggy Cupcakes, Gluten Free||
- 175 grams AP GF flour (89 grams superfine brown rice flour plus 43 grams each superfine white rice flour and tapioca flour/starch) (1⅓ cups)
- 186 grams granulated sugar (scant 1 cup)
- 1 scant teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 96 grams solid vegetable shortening (Spectrum) in pieces (8 tablespoons)
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 140 grams coconut nog (very scant ⅔ cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 96 grams solid vegetable shortening (Spectrum) (8 tablespoons)
- 325 grams powdered sugar, sifted (about 3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3 tablespoons coconut nog
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg plus more sprinkled on top of icing
- Preheat oven to 350. Place cupcake liners in muffin pans (about 12 ). Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt. Add in shortening pieces, eggs, coconut nog and vanilla. Using a handheld (or stand) mixer on medium/low combine until batter is smooth, lump-free and a little bit fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Fill each liner just shy ⅔ full. Bake 15-18 minutes though it might take a minute more or just until a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Cool for a few minutes. Remove cupcakes to a rack and cool completely before adding buttercream.
- In the bowl of stand-mixer or using a hand-held mixer whip together shortening, sifted sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of coconut nog. Whip mixture until it is very light and fluffy. It is seems too stiff, add a tiny bit of coconut nog at a time. Pipe onto each cupcake. Sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg on top.