On a cold winter weekend morning where the most important task is to keep your feet cozy, this should be on your breakfast list. It’s a quick and easy breakfast cake that will make the house smell of cinnamon and apples – and butter.
The filling takes about 5 minutes to make and can be prepared up to 3 days before and stored in the refrigerator. The cake goes together in minutes and pretty soon you’ll be standing by the oven wishing the thing to finish baking because it smells so great.
The streusel top melts into the batter creating a crunchy top around the edges almost like a crème brûlée. Serve warm for best flavor. Goes with a giant mug of coffee. And if you are as nuts as we are – a big scoop of vanilla ice cream. Winter never tasted so good.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 medium apples, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- juice from half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-2 gnarly bananas, sliced into chunks
- 3 generous tablespoons dark Rum
- 86 grams unsalted butter (6 tablespoons)
- 180 grams AP GF flour (90 grams superfine brown rice flour plus 45 grams each superfine white rice flour and tapioca starch/flour) (1⅓ cups)
- 50 grams granulated sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 extra-large egg
- 245 grams buttermilk (1 cup)
- zest of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 cups apple/banana mixture (above)
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 heaping tablespoons AP GF flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Place butter in a large saute pan. Heat until bubbling. Stir in apple wedges, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. High heat until apples are caramelized. Add bananas and cook for a few minutes more. Remove from heat (turn off heat) Add Rum and stir to deglaze pan and evaporate alcohol. Cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350. Place butter In a 9 or 10 inch cast iron or other oven proof skillet/pan. Place skillet or baking pan in the oven, melt the butter and allow it to slightly brown while preparing batter.
- Whisk together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg. In a small bowl whisk together egg, buttermilk, lemon zest, and vanilla. Blend wet ingredients into dry and stir just until mixed. Remove pan with melted butter from oven and pour batter in pan without stirring. Add apple/banana mixture to center of batter in pan without stirring.
- In a small bowl blend butter, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt until mixture is crumbly. Add streusel around outer edge of batter but not in the center.
- Place pan in oven with baking sheet on the next shelf under pan or skillet to catch any drips. Bake 30 minutes and rotate cake. Bake about 10-13 minutes more until cake is toasty brown. The streusel will have melted into the batter.
- Cool just very slightly before cutting into wedges. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired. Best served really warm.