Welcome to year two of the Easter Bunny Foo Foo festival. Bunny Foo Foo Cupcakes were last year’s headliner. This year, raspberry lemon donuts with a maraschino glaze, topped with a tiny bit of coconut and a Peep bunny are the new Foo Foo.
These actually started out as Ducky Donuts but those little Peep birds have fat tushes. They just wouldn’t fit in the center of the donut like the bunnies do. They were so obstinate their little behinds almost became microwave science projects (try it – it’s messy but crazy fun). Thankfully, the bunnies were on hand to take over the project.
If I sound a might-bit overdone, blame it on the Foo Foo bunnies. You’ve no idea how much debate went into which color Peep, and whether they should have chocolate bottoms. We went with simple (read: cheap cheap). And yellow.
The donuts take no time at all to make and you can have these ready in about an hour. They ought to cool thoroughly before adding the glaze and the Peep – peeps enjoy melting in the heat and that would not be very pretty.
I had some leftover raspberries in the freezer which are great to use for this kind of recipe – use them straight from the freezer for best results and crumble them slightly so they become small pieces. If they are frozen going into the batter they tend to not make the batter pink. If they are thawed, your batter will turn a little bit pink, but it will taste exactly the same.
If you don’t have maraschino cherry liquid in the refrigerator, use warm water or juice for the glaze liquid – although the cherry liquid gives it a jazzy flavor and pretty color.
Add the glaze and top with the coconut or not. Add the Peep for that Foo Foo look, but if you’re making these in July, I might just add some extra raspberries and an iced-tea.
Please excuse me. The microwave just beeped. What?
|Bunny Foo Foo Raspberry Donuts, Gluten Free||
- 260 grams Canteen blend flour (see note below) (2 cups)
- 150 grams granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 115 grams unsalted butter, melted (8 tablespoons)
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 160 grams buttermilk (2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- zest of one lemon (I used a Meyer lemon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 50 grams frozen raspberries, crumbled (about ⅓ cup)
- 50 grams powdered sugar, sifted (1/2 cup)
- 1-2 tablespoons maraschino cherry liquid
- 15 grams unsweetened shredded coconut (1/4 cup)
- 10-12 Peeps (bunnies) (any color)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two donut pans with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda in a large bowl. Melt butter in a medium microwave safe container. Cool slightly. Add eggs, buttermilk, lemon juice, zest, vanilla and lemon extracts and stir to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine. Fold in crumbled raspberries. Scoop into donut pans about halfway full. Bake 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Immediately turn donuts onto a rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and one tablespoon of liquid. Add up to one more tablespoon of liquid if needed to make the glaze drip off a spoon slowly. Using a fork drizzle glaze over cooled donuts. Sprinkle with coconut just as a dusting. Add a Peep bunny to the center.