That there is more Nutella in the Canteen kitchen than chocolate might indicate how much we like the stuff. I’ve yet to try it in my coffee but that doesn’t mean I haven’t thought about it.
These little Nutella buttons are easy to make, fun to eat, and great to give as gifts. Usually there aren’t many leftover, but they do keep really well if stored in a tin or old coffee can. That they take only a few minutes to make and bake is also a bonus. Also, it sure makes the house smell good while they’re baking.
Baking them on a sheet pan will yield small cookies. But baking them in the mini muffin pan will yield one-bite cakes with a crispy exterior and soft chewy middle. We prefer them baked in the mini muffin pan, but they also make fine (small) cookies. Be sure to let them cool to room temperature before eating though it might be hard to wait. They also taste even better after resting overnight. The flavors mellow.
You’d think I grew up with a jar of Nutella attached to me, but I never tasted the stuff until I was much older (as in ancient-older). Think of my crazy little addiction to Nutella as making up for lost time.
If you have a jar of Nutella on hand, a little almond flour (even whole ground almonds will do) and 15 minutes, these can be yours. Happy baking!
|Grain-Free Nutella Buttons|| |
- 195 grams Nutella (2/3 cup)
- 1 extra large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon brewed coffee
- 10 grams tapioca flour (1 tablespoon)
- 25 grams blanched almond flour (1/4 cup)
- 45 grams semisweet mini chocolate chips (1/4 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease two mini muffin tins (total 40-count) with nonstick spray. Or line two baking sheets with parchment. In a medium bowl blend Nutella, egg, vanilla and coffee together until fully combined. Stir in tapioca flour and almond flour until blended thoroughly. Stir in mini chips.
- Scoop by scant teaspoons into the prepared mini muffin tin or on the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 8-9 minutes. Cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer Nutella Buttons to a rack to cool completely.