There’s really only one time of year where peppermint everything reigns and it follows the season of all things pumpkin.
These little vanilla cupcakes are infused with peppermint flavor and topped with a dark chocolate ganache. Plus they’ve got a little extra peppermint in the tiny dab of frosting on top so it’s a peppermint festival in a cupcake bite.
Shiny ganache is one of those things that make people think you spent all day baking. Chocolate ganache has even been known to make some people just ever so slightly giddy (or drool). It’s a winner because no one (and trust me, no one) who gets one of these will know how ridiculously easy they are to make. And you aren’t allowed to tell them. Just politely smile and nod when they say you must be a baking genius. Also, anyone on a non dairy diet can enjoy these cupcakes so that’s another win.
Cupcake bites are the thing this year (says me). Everyone gets to eat one, guilt-free. No one passes up dessert thinking it’s too much. No one sane, that is. And everyone will really appreciate the holiday flavors without the over-the-top fuss that often gets mistaken for holiday treats (waving hi to someone with the initials MS). I like simplicity. I like good things to eat and I certainly appreciate all things chocolate. And peppermint. I bet you do, too.
Here’s to a merry holiday filled with good things to eat, great company and chocolate plus peppermint. Lots of chocolate, lots of peppermint.
|Chocolate Dipped Peppermint Cupcake Bites|| |
- 195 grams Canteen flour blend (1 ½ cups) (see notes)
- 150 grams granulated sugar (3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 80 grams neutral vegetable shortening oil (1/3 cup)
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 160 grams nondairy milk (2/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 340 grams semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
- 60 grams nondairy milk (1/4 cup)
- 56 grams Spectrum shortening (4 tablespoons)
- 110 grams powdered sugar, sifted (1 cup)
- 1-2 teaspoons warm water
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- Coarse red sugar or holiday sprinkles (your choice)
- Preheat oven to 350. Place liners in 2 24-count mini muffin pans (about 36). In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, milk , vanilla, and peppermint extracts. Add to flour mixture and mix until batter is smooth. Fill each liner just shy ⅔ full. Bake 10-13 minutes or until a toothpick comes out without crumbs. Cool for a few minutes. Transfer cupcakes to a rack and cool completely before adding ganache and buttercream.
- In a double boiler over low heat melt milk with chocolate until mixture is smooth. Cool ten minutes off heat. Dip the tops of each cupcake into the smooth chocolate and flip right side up and place on a rack to set.
- In a large bowl blend the shortening with the powdered sugar. Add 1 teaspoon of water and the extract. Whip until fluffy. Add 1 teaspoon more water if buttercream is too stiff. Pipe a tiny bit onto the top of the set ganache. Sprinkle coarse red sugar on top before buttercream sets. Let cupcakes set an hour or two. Best served the same day.