It’s that time of year when Peeps abound everywhere. Even in the wine shop right next to the kosher wines for Passover.
But for the Peeps, it all starts in Bethlehem – Bethlehem, PA, that is, in a place called the Just Born factory. Nope. Not kidding. The birthplace of the beloved little Peeps.
Aside from the video on the Peep’s website featuring a chicky Peep dressed like Betty Crocker, I’m usually amused by how little Peeps are depicted throughout the interwebs. Please tell me you’ve seen the little yoga bunny Peeps?
It isn’t so strange having a ducky Peep hanging out in the center of your donut, am I right?
These Easter orange donuts feature little ducky Peeps, lots of glaze and plenty of colorful sprinkles. Think Little Bunny Foo Foo twin, separated at birth.
Kind of the same only different.
The donuts are made with orange juice concentrate which really amps the flavor, but feel free to use the same measurement of orange juice instead (expect the flavor to be more subtle).
Also, divide up the glaze and add various gel coloring (AmeriColor is gluten-free) if you wish to be even more festive. I like a more simple approach – to add the color with sprinkles instead. The ducky Peeps will need a little surgery to fit in the donut hole. Cut the bottom of each Peep into a V shape (see directions) so that the duck sinks into the hole a little bit.
Here’s to donuts, and the little Peeps that make this all possible. Have a wonderful holiday and be generous – give those little Peeps a job.
|Orange Glazed Ducky Donuts|| |
- 325 grams Canteen flour blend (2 ½ cups) (see notes)
- 100 grams granulated sugar (1/2 cup)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 240 grams orange juice concentrate, thawed or orange juice (1 cup)
- 3 extra large eggs
- 120 grams neutral vegetable oil (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract
- 330 grams powdered sugar, sifted (3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon orange extract
- 4 tablespoons hot water (1/4 cup)
- Pastel sprinkles or nonpareils
- 18 Ducky Peeps (trimmed into a V at the bottom)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease (3) 6-count donut pans with non stick spray (makes 15-18 donuts). In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until combined. In a medium bowl whisk together orange juice concentrate, eggs, oil, vanilla and orange extract until combined. Add to flour mixture and stir to combine until batter is smooth. Scoop into the donut pans filling each opening about ½ full.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes or just until a toothpick comes out with dry crumbs. Immediately invert donuts onto cooling racks. Cool completely before adding glaze.
- In a medium bowl stir powdered sugar with corn syrup, orange extract and 2 tablespoons of hot water. Only add more hot water if the glaze is too thick. It should be fall from the spoon in thick ribbons.
- Dip the donut into the glaze and set it back on the rack. Immediately add sprinkles before the glaze sets. Set a trimmed Peep in the center hole and add more sprinkles if necessary. Serve once the glaze sets.